Few people can resist chocolate cake and this luxurious recipe from my personal recipe box.
Perfectly moist, just the right balance of flavors and an irresistible not-too-sweet icing. Dressed down for everyday or sprinkled with edible gold and decorated with edible flowers for a sophisticated presentation perfect for a brunch or tea party, this cake, ‘takes the cake’!
RICH CHOCOLATE CAKE
- ½ cup chocolate semi sweet chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare 2 9-inch cake pans or one 9 x 13 inch pan lining it with parchment paper (will not stick and comes out beautifully!)
1. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a microwave safe dish or in a small saucepan on the stove. Take out of microwave or off the heat and set aside. Add in vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl whisk flour, salt, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cream of tartar, nutmeg. Set aside.
3. Add the eggs to the chocolate/butter mixture, mix with wooden spoon to combine well. Pour out into flour mixture bowl and combine well (or use stand mixer on low until all ingredients are well combined. While still beating, gradually add in the milk.
4. Pour and spread into pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until knife comes out clean. (bake longer if in 9 x 13 pan – approximately 10 more minutes)
5. Remove from oven, cool on baking rack. Lift cake out using the parchment paper ends. Let completely cool before icing.
- 9 tablespoons cocoa
- ¼ cup margarine or butter, melted
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon brewed coffee
1. Add cocoa and icing sugar into a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add vanilla, butter, coffee and combine using wooden spoon
2. Add water slowly beating until desired consistency is achieved.
3. Spread onto cooled cake and serve.